Thursday 27 March 2008

Darjeeling Limited/ à bord du Darjeeling Limited , Wes Anderson

Darjeeling limited has just been released last week in France. Of course I broke my piggy to see it when I was still in London, because I am the biggest fan on earth of Wes Anderson! Well I am not a fan of anyone anyway, but let say that I find back in his universe some traces of my childhood and of my incapacity of being an adult or anything serious!
I find back Enid Blyton, as much as Salinger, the chic of Jean-Pierre Léaud (in case I have a son one day, and if the father is French I’ll call him Antoine: Antoine Doisnel, Antoine Doisnel, Antoine Doisnel….), I recognise the creativity I had as a child, Jacques Yves Cousteau, stupid dreams of adventures, and weird and specific houses…
Darjeeling Limited is the first step to some kind of maturity, maybe the acceptance of death, or of letting go of the parents that can’t do anything for you anyway!
I love, the fake beginning that let us think that Bill Murray will play in it. It's like a revenge of the broken character of Owen Wilson after his death in the Aquatic life, to get the train. I know that it's Adrian Brody who got the train, but it's like a generation is left behind, after leaving behind!
I love the invasion of India, in this very "typicalled" stereotyped universe, and the fact that it forces the characters to finally face themselves instead of focusing on objects like cars, suitcases, glasses…
Death, suicide and drama are here. How to deal with life when you feel orphaned ( I am making out verbs today!) I love this movie because it looks like it’s taking characters from fiction to put them into reality, and more than that I love the fact that reality is not here to hurt them but to help them healing!
Last night I dreamt that I was going to India where my aunt lives, and today I learnt that someone else in my family deceased in this same month of March 2008. I thought that it would be required to see DL again, and I was right.
What stroke me is the beauty of Angelica Huston, the calm, the emotional detachement of her maternal face!
Is this the time for this generation between 25 and 40 to forget about their parents and live our life and show to the world what we took from our magic and protected childhood while our parents revolted themselves against the boredom of their fifties childhood? It’s tough but we're all in the same train!

1 comment:

Douglas Blyde said...

Terrific review. You capture the essence and intent of the director and the flirtatious comic timing, e.g. Murray.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...